Friday 17 July 2015

Thinking about Book Clubs

One of the exciting parts of my school's literacy programme is the inclusion of book clubs.  Not just as extension for our high flyers but for everyone.  I'll admit that it's part of our programme that I'm not brilliant at implementing but I have big plans this term to improve that.

One of my existing book club groups has not loved their experience so far; I know that this is, in large part, my fault. I haven't given them as much guidance and input as I should have done. With this in mind I've created a couple of info graphic style posters and hand outs.

This first one is in response to some confusion about how a book club is meant to run.  If you click on the image you'll be able to download a copy. (I think? Please let me know if you can't!)


This second one is a quick little 'cheat sheet' to prompt the sorts of discussions that can happen in book club. Again, feel free to download it if you like.


What do you think? I'm keen for feedback.

Edit (August 17th 2015): You can read my follow up post here.

This relates to the following Australian Professional Standards for Teachers...
Standard 2 Know the content and how to teach it
Standard 3 Plan for and implement effective teaching and learning
Standard 4 Create and maintain supportive and safe learning environments


2 comments:

  1. They make complete sense to me but the proof of success is what sort of feedback the kids give you. Will you introduce them with an explanation of your intention to improve their book club experience and learning outcomes and suggest that you would appreciate their feedback or will you be less explicit and look for more impromptu feedback about the value and response to these prompts? Just curious and would love to see a follow up post. I think I'm off to make one that suits Humanities reading purposes and focus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I introduced them during a small group session with each book club, explaining that I wanted to improve their book club experiences. We went over the learning intentions and success criteria of book clubs too. I provided smaller copies of the book club prompts info graphic for the kiddos to have with them during book club, and then asked for specific feedback after their meetings. Mostly positive feedback at this stage, but it also highlighted some misconceptions about the process. So... I will do a follow up post a couple of weeks into using them. :) I think you should blog on the resource you developed!

      Delete